There are hallmarks of first dates, a lot of nervousness; a fair bit of quick drinking, awkward moments and sometimes the balance is quite mismatched between people. So here's Stuff's list of best first date spots for the romantic, adventurous or downright nervous If you like: Casual. - Crab Shack: Don't let the fact that this is co-owned by Masterchef judge Simon Gault fool you, this place gets so messy its patrons are offered bibs. Perfect for the more adventurous foodie who has no shame. The Viaduct, Auckland. - Freeman and Grey: offers $4 pizzas and a relaxed atmosphere that is a breath of fresh air from the rest of the upper-class road. 43 Ponsonby Road, Auckland. If you like: Ambience.
Wondering what to do on a first date? Check out our suggestions of 22 first date ideas with a difference Choosing the perfect first date can put you under a lot of pressure. Do you play it safe with dinner or drinks or should you surprise them with something a little different? Don’t despair; we’ve rounded-up 20 of the best first date ideas out there so you’ll never be stuck for inspiration ever again.
Whether your date is sporty with a competitive streak or a hopeless romantic, we’ve got a first date idea to suit every taste. Take a look… Fun first date ideas 1. Score a strike at a bowling alley Challenge your competitive streak with a fun first date at the bowling alley. Not only will you be able to show off your skills, but you’ll have plenty of time to get to know your date between throws.
2. Check out a workout class Whether it’s Zumba or box fit, taking a join workout class will certainly get your date’s heart racing. Plus, the dose of endorphins exercise provides will make sure that your first date ends on a high.
3. Play a round of mini golf It might’ve been a few years since you last tackled a mini golf course, but this is the kind of game that just gets better with age! Just make sure someone keeps score… 4. Ride the rollercoasters at a theme park Scream if you want to go faster!
Test your date’s nerves and get the adrenalin pumping by spending the day at a theme park. You’ll soon find out whether your relationship is going be full of thrills. 5. Sing the hits at a karaoke bar If you have perfect pitch, is probably already at the top of your to-do list, but if we’re honest, it’s more fun if you can’t carry a note!
What better way to bond on a first date then over your terrible Britney impression? 6. Go rock climbing Take your relationship to new heights by scheduling a fun first date at your local climbing wall. This is sure to get your blood pumping, even if you don’t reach the top! 7. Attend a comedy night A shared sense of humour is one of the most important factors in romantic compatibility so what better way to exercise your funny bone than watching a live comedy show?
You’ll soon find out whether you’ll be laughing your way to true love. Romantic first date ideas 8. See a film under the stars We wouldn’t normally recommend a for a first date as there’s no chance to chat, but when it’s an outdoor showing under a perfectly starry sky then we have to make an exception.
9. Watch live music If you and your date are , going to a gig or an open mic night is a great first date idea. Grab a table and find out if the two of you can find perfect harmony. 10. Dine in an expensive restaurant It’s the classic romantic date idea but if you really want to impress, nothing beats wining and dining your date. Bonus points if you pick a venue lit by candlelight. 11. Take a sunset stroll Sunset is the most romantic time of day, so if you really want to make your date swoon, take them on a stroll as the sun goes down.
A goodbye kiss is almost guaranteed! 12. Visit an art gallery or museum A can be great as it gives you and your date plenty of time to talk as well as admire the artefacts. And who wouldn’t fall in love when surrounded by some of the world’s most romantic works of art? 13. Head to a scenic point If you want to take your date’s breath away, head to your local scenic point and the hard work will be done for you.
Visit when the sun is going down and the romance levels will be off the scale. 14. Go ice skating Whether you’re at home on the ice – or take a little longer to find your feet – there’s something inherently romantic about an ice skating date. Plus, if you’re feeling shaky, it’s a great excuse to hold hands! Cute first date ideas 15. Take a picnic to the park On a sunny day, one of the best first date ideas is to to your favourite park. Surprise your date with a homemade dish or treat them to something extra-special from a local bakery.
16. Volunteer It’s well-known that doing good to others is good for you, so why not share those positive vibes with someone special? A cute date idea could be to spend an afternoon volunteering at an animal shelter or getting messy painting a retirement home. 17. Be a tourist in your own city First dates offer a great opportunity to explore those places you’ve always been meaning to visit.
And if you and your date share interests, this could be the perfect way to show you’ve been paying attention. 18. Take a walk on the wild side at the zoo If you and your date are up for an adventure, a cute date idea is to take a trip to your local .
Whether you exchange stolen glances by the snakes or loving looks by the lions, every exhibit is sure to give you plenty to talk about. 19. Take a cooking class Opting for an activity date is one of the best first date ideas out there. A cooking class combines learning a new skill with the opportunity to check out your date’s kneading technique – and gently tease them if their cake turns out a little flat! 20. Play a board game Playing a round of Monopoly or Jenga might not immediately spring to mind when wondering what to do on a first date, but returning to these games helps bring out your fun side – and throws a little healthy competition into the mix.
21. Feed the ducks A simple but surprisingly cute date idea, a first date spent feeding the ducks is a great way to bond with your date and keep your costs low. Simply grab a few slices of stale bread and spend an afternoon meeting the residents of the pond in your local park. 22. Go for breakfast When a dinner date feels too formal and coffee seems too short, breakfast is a great first date compromise. It’s the perfect no pressure start to you day; if it’s not working out, you have an easy excuse to leave but if all goes well you can spend the whole day together.
best first date ideas auckland - Dating Auckland: Love in New Zealand’s biggest city
Where to for a first date in our biggest city? Here's a few ice-breaking ideas. If you're single this Valentines Day but have been thinking of asking someone out on a date, Auckland has plenty of ice-breaking options. They range from ice-cream on the wharf, drinks in dark bars, or romantic cafes with background music. But one thing they have in common is staff who know how to deal with first dates. READ MORE: Bartender "Nacho" from Ponsonby's Conch restaurant and bar says he can tell when people are on a first date.
"They don't come in together so there's usually that one person waiting at the bar," he says. "We do everything we can to make them comfortable. Sometimes we'll watch to check how it is going and we'll offer them menus to get them talking.
"I try not to put myself into the date but you can feel it, if you go to a table and they are chatting and it's amusing and they're having a great time or if there's silence I go to the chef like: 'Give me the food! Where is the food? Because they don't know what to talk about.'" Clive from Jack Tarr in Wynyard Quarter says the informal nature of his restaurant lends itself to first dates.
"There are hallmarks of first dates, a lot of nervousness; a fair bit of quick drinking, awkward moments and sometimes the balance is quite mismatched between people." So here's Stuff's list of best first date spots for the romantic, adventurous or downright nervous.
If you like: Casual - Crab Shack: Don't let the fact that this is co-owned by Masterchef judge Simon Gault fool you, this place gets so messy its patrons are offered bibs. Perfect for the more adventurous foodie who has no shame. The Viaduct, Auckland - Freeman and Grey: offers $4 pizzas and a relaxed atmosphere that is a breath of fresh air from the rest of the upper-class road. 43 Ponsonby Road, Auckland If you like: Ambience - Conch: The former record store still has remnants of its musical past with vinyl on the walls and music merchandise.
The restaurant serves Mexican and Latin food and has a wood-fired pizza oven. 115A Ponsonby Road, Auckland - One2One Café: This historic café has a stretching outdoor deck and live music most nights 121 Ponsonby Road, Auckland If you like: Style - Orleans: Delicious food, exotic drinks, live music and a dark outdoor bar area, this is the perfect place to take a date. 43 Customs Street, Auckland - Bedford and Soda: The service leaves something to be desired as it can be quite snobby but the drinks are phenomenal (one "volcanic" drink includes gunpowder vodka).
This bar is very popular so you need to get in early to score a table. 4 Brown Street, Auckland If you like: Fun - Mexico: The stalwart of fun and stylish dining, Mexico offers tasty food that is perfect for sharing and a high-end range of tequilas bound to erase any first-date nerves. 164 Ponsonby Road; 4 The Strand, Takapuna; 23 Britomart Place; 120 Main Highway, Ellerslie - Jack Tar: This restaurant/bar on the viaduct has spectacular customer service and despite having a pub-like atmosphere it offers some fine dining.
Jack Tar overlooks the wharf and offers blankets for customers sitting outside on nights when the sea breeze gets too chilly. North Wharf, Wynyard Quarter, Jellicoe Street - Gelatiamo: The gelato café also looks over the sea and is the perfect night-cap for an evening out. The ice-cream bar will be open late on Valentine's Day. North Wharf, Wynyard Quarter, Jellicoe Street
2. Hire a and test your balance along Mission Bay. 3. Indulge in some fancy ice cream at . 4. Get 1kg of mussels for $30 at the . 5. Watch a movie at the outdoor cinemas at , on every Friday until Feb. 6. Get on that health bandwagon together and enjoy an infrared sauna. 7. Learn everything there is to know about coffee with a visit to .
8. Walk along the beach and brunch while people watching (or dog watching) at . 9. Act like a child and challenge each other to who can bounce higher with a session at .
10. Take a day trip north of Auckland and go horse riding along . 11. While you’re up there, spot some sea creatures while snorkelling at . 12. And, on your way back don’t forget to stop and have a picnic at . 13. Test your date’s swimming skills with a race out to the Pontoon at Waiake Beach.
14. Or if walking is more your thing, try a romantic stroll through one of . 15. Time it well and see some live music at while enjoying a few brews. 16. Go strawberry picking and then eat your earnings out at . 17. If you’re trying to get to the next stage, take your loved one to so they’ll cling onto you purely out of fear. 18. Take them for a round of minigolf through the .
19. Test their skills on ice with a session of ice skating at , just pretend you’re at Central Park. 20. And, if ice skating proves to be more difficult than expected, apologise with a dessert at .
21. If you really want to impress the lover, take a helicopter to Waiheke and wine and dine at a winery. 22. If you want to get out on the water, go for a session. 23. Spend the day bird watching at .
24. Or if spending the evening is more your thing, book a night at the . 25. Get the juices flowing with some oysters on the . 26. Show your partner your dedication to New Zealand and watch a rugby game at .
27. If you need a reason to get naked, head to the nudist beach, St Leonards in Takapuna. 28. If adventure is your middle name, take them for a bike ride at . 29. And, if you like living life on the edge, go for a rock climbing session. 30. Buy the game of the decade, a and take it to the beach for a round of Kubb. 31. Finish the date with a few brews at the . WANT MORE? • • • Image credit:
Reviewing the TOP CAFES in Auckland, New Zealand