Bring meaning to your metrics and stories to your dates with our API of interesting number facts. URL Structure. Just hit http://numbersapi.com/number/type to get a plain text response, where number is. an integer, or. the keyword random, for which we will try to return a random available fact, or. a day of year in the form month/day (eg. 2/29, 1/09, 04/1), if type is date. ranges of numbers. http://numbersapi.com/42 ⇒ 42 is the result given by Google and Bing for the query the answer to life the universe and everything. http://numbersapi.com/2/29/date ⇒ February 29 is the day in 1504 that Christopher Columbus uses his knowledge of a lunar eclipse to convince Native Americans to provide him with supplies.
Cool random facts about life and everything ever that everyone should discover and say “incredible”. Read and check out this list of 110 cool random facts about life and everything ever and if you find any other cool fact, add it to our collection on in the line of . Cool Random Facts About Life & Everything Ever That Will Amaze You 1. On average, you breathe about five million times per year. 2. You’re born with exactly 300 bones and by the time, as you’re an adult, you have totally 206.
3. The largest recorded snowflake was 15 inches wide and 8 inches thick. 4. The Matami, a tribe of West Africa has their own version of football, that the football is a human skull, instead of a normal ball.
5. Coca-Cola would look green if a certain colorant was not added. Read on: 6. The thigh bones of human are proven to stronger than concrete. 7. Butterflies can travel over 3,000 miles. 8. To have 1 pound of honey, a bee has to visit about 2 million flowers. 9. Don’t you know that the Earth is the only planet that isn’t named after a god? 10. A silkworm can consume about 86,000 times of its own weight within 56 days.
11. A 500-bat colony can eat about 250,000 insects per hour. 12. What’s the only one mammal that cannot jump? It’s elephant! 13. 11 percent of the people are left-handed. 14. Like fingerprints of human, everyone's tongue is not the same.
15. Chicken can fly the longest 13 seconds. 16. 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321 17. A “Jiffy” is the scientific name for 1/100th of a second. 18. You can’t lick your elbow. Dare you to give it a try. 19. The heart of a shrimp is in its head. 20. When you say Bless you when sneezing, your heart stops beating for a mili-second. 21. Pigs never look up into the sky. 22. Horses and rats cannot vomit.
23. Rats can multiply quickly that in eighteen months. In concrete, a couple of rats can have more than 1,000,000 descendants. 24. Don’t you know that by wearing headphones for 1 hour, you may increase amounts of harmful bacteria in your ears up to 700 times? 25.
The lighter was actually invented before the invention of match. 26. Without food, a person can live for about a month, yet without water, he or she just only live for about a week. 27. Besides the USA, Ireland is also one of the largest software producing country all over the world. 28. There are about 98 percent of atoms in the body are replaced every year.
29. Next to cool random facts, don’t you know that cold water is lighter than hot water? 30. Sound can travel approximately 15 times faster through the steel than the air.
31. Pure silver is very soft and it is often mixed with copper (92.5% of silver and 7.5% of copper). 32. Ostriches can run more rapidly than horses, also the males roar as lions. 33. Rabbits and guinea pigs cannot sweat. 34. Sloths have to take 2 weeks to digest all their food. 35. Scientifically, rays and sharks are the only animals believed not to get cancer.
Also, scientists discovered that there is something to do with a fact that both rays and sharks do not have bones, just only cartilage. 36. Deer can't eat hay. 37. It is believed that the porpoise is just behind human being among the most intelligent animals on the Earth.
38. Skunks can spray their fluid as far as 10 feet. 39. Though not as colorful, dogs on average or vision than human. 40. Birth control pills are believed to work on gorillas. Read on: 41. Jellyfish love salt water. The population of jellyfish often reduces in the rainy season because more fresh water put into sea salt where jellyfish live.
42. There are over 11 kinds of kangaroos. 43. The female lions do 90% of the hunting. 44. Flink is called for a group of 12 cows or more. 45. We can know the sex of the horses by their teeth (Most females have about 36 and most males have 40).
46. Money is not made of paper; it is made out of mainly cotton. 47. The human’s stomach produces a layer of mucus each 2 weeks and otherwise it’ll digest the mucus by its self. 48. Next to cool random facts about human, Leonardo da Vinci was able to draw with one hand and write with the other – at the same time!
49. Orcas can kill sharks by torpedoing up into the stomachs of the sharks from underneath. 50. Because metal was extremely scarce, the Oscars that were given out during World War II, were actually made of wood.
51. In the dictionary, there are no words that rhyme with: purple, silver and orange. 52. Scissors were invented by Leonardo Da Vinci. 53. Astronauts aren’t allowed to consume beans before going into space as passing wind in the space suit can damage them. 54. Wasps taste like pine nuts, worms taste like fried bacon and beetles taste like apples.
55. The “French kiss” style in the English is known like the “English kiss” style in France. Read on: 56. Rhythm is the longest word without a vowel in English. 57. You cannot kill yourself or commit suicide by holding your own breath. 58. In Iceland, it’s forbidden to have a dog like a pet. Read on: 59. The human’s heart beats more than 100,000 times per day. 60. A person’s ribs move approximately 5 million times per year, every time that person breathe. 61. Your fingernails can grow about four times faster than your toenails.
62. Honey is an awesome food as it doesn’t spoil through time. Honey found in the Egyptian pharaohs’ tombs has been found edible and tasted by archaeologists.
Read on: 63. Months that start on a Sunday will usually have a Friday, 13 th. 64. The heart of a hedgehog on average beats about 300 times/minute. 65. The lead pencil is believed to write about 50,000 English words or draw a line of 35 miles long. 66. Camels have 3 eyelids to protect their eyes from blowing sand.
67. The 6 official languages of the UN are: English – French – Arabic – Chinese – Russian – Spanish. 68. If worms cannot find food to eat, they will eat themselves. 69. Among cool random facts, don’t you know that dolphins sleep with 1 eye open?
70. You can’t sneeze while opening eyes. 71. Don’t you know that slugs have four noses? 72. The owl is the only bird that can see the blue color. 73. A giraffe can reach its ears with its average tongue of 21 inches. 74. The person on average laughs about 10 times per day.
Read on: 75. The eye of an ostrich is bigger than its brain 76. If you farted for six years & nine months consistently, enough gas can be produced to create enough energy of an atomic bomb. 77. The orgasm of a pig can last about 30 minutes. 78. A cockroach can live 9 days without its head until it starves to death. 79. A flea is able to jump 350 times of its body length and it is like a person jumping a full length of a soccer field. Read on: 80. The catfish on average has more than 27,000 taste buds.
81. Lions can mate more than 50 times per day. 82. Don’t you know that butterflies can taste with their feet? 83. The strongest muscle humans have is the tongue. 84. The urine of cats can glow under black light. 85. Next to incredible cool random fact, starfish actually have no brains! 86. Don’t you know that may like you as they are left-handed? 87. Both dolphins and human are species having sex for pleasure. 88. A cow can produce about 200 times of gas/day more than a person.
89. The lifespan of a dragonfly is 24 hours. 90. Twit is called for a pregnant goldfish. 91. A Saudi Arabian woman is allowed to get a divorce if her husband does not give her a coffee. 92. Sharks can blink with their 2 eyes. 93. The penis of whale is called “dork”. 94. The number of people using blue toothbrushes is more than the red ones.
95. Don’t you know that mosquitoes have teeth like you? 96. Cows can give more milk if they listen to music. 97. On average, a person has about 1,460 dreams per year.
98. The average person is about a quarter of an inch taller at night. 99. “Uncopyrightable” is the only long word (15 letters) that is spelled without repeating any letter in the word. 100. There are at least 293 ways to change for 1 dollar. 101. There are just 4 words in English that end in the suffix -dous: tremendous, hazardous, horrendous and stupendous. 102. Snakes are born with 2 heads, they can fight each other for food.
103. Windmills normally turn counter-clockwise, except for windmills in Ireland. 104. You are more likely to be stung by bees on windy days than in other types of weather. 105. Starfish can turn their stomach inside out. 106. The single state of Florida is larger than England. 107. The national anthem of the Hellenic Republic has 158 verses and no one in this country could memorize all 158 verses.
108. The longest 1-syllable word in English is screeched. 109. The condom originally made of linen that was invented in 1500s. 110. The Earth weighs around 6,6 sextillion tons.
Bottom line: There are a lot of cool random facts about life and everything that you have ever known or not. Feel free to add more cool random facts you know to this collection by dropping your comment at the end of the post. For any feedback or mistake about this writing, leave it at the comment box, too.
Thanks for reading and see you in the next post! Advertising Disclosure Displayed content is offered by businesses which have been compensated. There is a potential effect on how, what, and where products may appear. All effort is made into providing full transparency, not all available products or companies are highlighted. Published material is offered without any slant or bias no matter what affiliation there is with sponsorship or association.
best random dating facts everything - Top 10 Facts About Dating
• Couples usually wait until six to eight dates before they are willing to enter into an exclusive relationship.  • Speed dating, invented by a rabbi from Los Angeles in 1999, is based on a Jewish tradition of chaperoned gatherings of young Jewish singles.  • The most common time for breakups is around three to five months.
 • One in three teenagers have experienced violence in a dating relationship.  • In a survey conducted by MSNBC.com and Elle magazine, more than 31% of men said they dumped an overweight partner compared to 12% of women.
 • Women who post a photo on Internet dating sites receive twice as many email messages as women who don’t. The same study found that men who reported incomes higher than $250,000 received 156% more email than those with $50,000.  A couple will exchange house keys on an average of 12-14 dates • On average, it takes between 12 to 14 dates before couples will trade house keys.
 • Match.com reports that 44% of its members in the United States have children.  • On free dating sites, at least 10% of new accounts are from scammers.  • If a man can’t decide what to wear on a date, he might want to wear blue. Studies show that women are attracted to men in blue.  • Ninety-two percent of single parents would rather date other single parents.  • Thirty-three percent of online daters form a relationship, 33% do not, and 33% give up.  • The online dating industry generates $1.8 billion per year and the matchmaker/dating coach business generates $260 million per year in the United States.
 • According to the U.S. census, there are 95.9 million unmarried people in the U.S. of which 47% are men and 53% are women.  • Researchers at the University of Chicago found that people were twice as likely to find a date through friends and family than through the bar scene.
 • At 4M Multimillionaire Matchmaking Club based in Seattle, WA, clients are men who have made millions but are still single. The matchmaking service charges between $10,000 and $30,000 for men. Women pay around $250 to be listed as potential partners.
 • The third week in September is National Singles Week in the U.S.  I've been on so many blind dates, I should get a free dog. - Wendy Liebman • Four out of 10 workplace dating relationships result in marriage.
 • One Manhattan matchmaker’s price begins at $20,000. If a match (marriage) results, a marriage bonus is expected.  • In the online dating world, women are afraid of meeting a serial killer. Men are afraid of meeting someone “fat.” According to Ann Rule, about 3% of men are psychopaths, of which only a tiny percentage are serial killers.
 • In a survey of 5,000 singles conducted by Match.com, 43% said fresh breath mattered the most before a date, 17% said stylish clothes, 15% said sexy fragrance, 14% said good skin, and 10% said great hair.  • Studies show that schools, colleges, coffee shops, and malls are all excellent places to flirt because people are more open to meeting others in these places. Poor locations are restaurants and movie theaters.
 • During the early twentieth century, dating evolved out of a courtship ritual where young women entertained male callers under the watch of a chaperone. By the 1960s and 1970s, “hooking up” increasingly replaced dating, mainly because the age at which people marry for the first time had begun creeping up.  • Typically, dating specialists suggest waiting until the third date to cook someone dinner at home.  • Psychologists at the University of Pennsylvania studied data from over 10,000 speed daters and found that most people make a decision regarding a person’s attraction within three seconds of meeting.
 It only takes seconds to decide another person’s attractiveness • Nearly 40% of men do not feel confident meeting a woman for the first time.  • Immediately after Tiger Wood’s affairs became public, men looking for discreet relationships on BeNaughty.com dropped by 47.5%.  • Studies show that before a man even speaks a word, the way he stands (whether he is slouching or not) counts for over 80% of woman’s first impression.
 • Studies show that men are put off by groups of loud women. If a woman wants to get a date, she should break away from a loud group to give a man a chance to approach her.  • Mirroring, or repeating someone’s body language, often impresses a date because it subtly conveys interest to the other person.
One should avoid copying every move, however.  • Bad breath and bad teeth are an instant turn-off for potential dates. If deep dental cleaning doesn’t improve a person’s breath, he or she could have a stomach bacterium called H. pylori, which causes bad breath.  • Body language studies show that revealing areas of the body that aren’t usually on display (such as the inner wrist, the inside of the upper arm, ankles, feet, inside calf muscle, and the nape of the neck) has an immediate effect on a date and shows an instant liking.
 Happy people attract more dates • Studies show that happiness is contagious and that potential dates find it hard to walk away from happy people. One of the biggest turn-offs during a date is negativity.
 • If you want to create an instant link with a date, say his or her name at least twice in the conversation. This shows attentiveness and connectedness.  • Studies show that remembering bits of information about a person and working them into conversations not only is highly flattering but also shows interest.  • Research has confirmed that women are more attracted to men who wear pheromone-based colognes or aftershaves such as 10X.
Studies have also shown that women, who have a stronger sense of smell than men, are particularly attracted to musk and black licorice smells.  • Body type is important in attracting a date. Studies show that overweight individuals were perceived less favorably than thin or muscular people.
Thin individuals were perceived as intelligent but fearful, and muscular individuals were perceived as being healthy, brave, and good looking.  • Top ten turn-offs for women include cystic acne, raggedy nails, flatulence and belching, missing teeth, body odor, bad breath, hairy nostrils, “man boobs,” “goofy” glasses, and hair “mistakes.”  • If a group of women are standing together but their eyes are wandering, they are likely to be looking for guys.
If they each take a turn to break away from the group to head to the bathroom alone, they are on the prowl. If they are huddled together giggling, they are usually not interested in finding men.  • Choosing exciting places for a first date increases the chances of the other person falling for you. There is a definitive link between danger and physical/romantic attraction.  • Depending on the type of women a man would like to meet, he should visit that type of clothing store.
For example, if a man likes “outdoorsy” women, he should go to an outdoor clothing store.  • The appropriate time to call after meeting a man or woman is hotly debated among dating experts.
Typically, the ideal time to wait to call is two to four days, though no longer than four to five days. Calling too soon can appear desperate.  A woman will express interest in her date in several subtle ways • If a woman is interested in her date, she will often smile at his jokes, play with her hair, fidget with an object such as a glass, blush when he pays her a compliment, pout or pucker her mouth, stumble over words, or lean in towards him.
 • Beautiful women typically get more stares, winks, and harassment than average-looking women do, but they are also less likely to get asked out by average-looking men because those men tend to be intimated by them.
 • When a man first approaches a woman, she will base 55% of her initial impression of him on his appearance and body language, 38% on his style of speaking, and 7% on what he actually says.  • Worst places to go on first date include fast-food restaurants, your kids’ birthday party or school play, your parents’ house, strip clubs, X-rated films or swingers parties, a party where your ex will be, church activities, or window shopping.
 • Dating specialists suggest that if a woman doesn’t return a call after two messages, she is not interested.  • In American society, when a man offers his date his palm face up, he is most likely deeply attracted to the woman. In fact, a human’s brain is wired to respond to hand gestures and hand shapes, though the brain’s response depends on the man or woman’s culture and ethnicity.  • It is hard for a man to strike up a conversation if there are just two women at a social scene because he doesn’t want the other friend to feel abandoned.
So a woman who is looking to attract a date should bring two “wing women” with her.  • Statistics show that trying to get a relationship to work with an ex doesn’t usually work.
The case where it might work is if there were extenuating circumstances of the breakup, such as one of couple had been going through a family tragedy or moved.  • A recent AOL survey says that 40% of women view an appropriate time frame to wait for sex as being one to three months, while 35% of men think the third date is fine. On average, couples have sex within about four to six dates.  • If a woman offers to pay for everything, chances are she isn’t that into the date.
There’s an unspoken understanding that a man paying for everything is a form of “copulatory gift,” which is almost universal in all animal species.  • Over 50% of all singles in America have not had a date in more than two years.  Over half of all singles in America have not had a date in over two years • Research shows that men know they’re falling in love after just three dates, but women don’t fall in love until date 14.
 • Twenty-nine percent of Americans have had sex on the first date.  • Eye contact, or a “copulatory gaze,” is a primary and powerful tool for attracting a potential date for both men and women.
However, the meaning of various types of eye contact differs from culture to culture.  • Talking to a bartender makes a woman seem more friendly and makes it easier for a guy to jump in on her conversation.  • A woman can increase the likelihood of a man approaching her if she uncrosses her arms, makes subtle eye contact, and smiles.
 • Italian food is one of the most popular restaurants for a first date.  • Twenty to 40 million Americans have used online dating services. Nearly 50% of online daters are aged 18-34 and 24% are 35-44.  • An attractive online “About Me” section in your online dating profile often includes a brief description of what you are passionate about or thankful for, a couple of things your friends say about you, qualities you are looking for in a potential partner, the first thing people notice about you (other than appearance), how you spend your leisure time, five things you can’t live without, and the latest good book you’ve read.
 • On average, there are 86 unmarried men for every 100 unmarried women in the U.S., though the actual numbers vary according to region.  • Signs that a woman is not interested in her date include avoiding eye contact, faking a smile or not smiling, leaning away, answering in monosyllables, sagging her shoulders, looking at her watch, tapping her foot, or staring blankly.
 A woman will give several subtle (or not so subtle) hints she is not interested in a date • Approximately 48% of online daters reported that their breakups occurred via email.
 • On Match.com, 132 million winks are sent out each year and members go out on a six million dates per year.  • eHarmony.com boasts that 236 of its members marry each day, accounting for 2% of U.S. marriages.  • New York and Washington have the most state residents who are unmarried, 50% and 70%, respectively.
Idaho and Utah have the most state residents who are married, 60% and 59%.  • “Desperate” daters are typically always available, are clingy, need constant relationship status updates, fish for compliments, drop their standards, and rationalize bad treatment.
 • Five types of women that men tend to avoid are serial flirters, someone who talks about marriage too soon, clingy women, the party-girl, and a woman who talks too much or is drama queen.  • Four common date blunders include showing up late, talking about yourself too much, revealing too much about your ex, and an obvious over-eagerness.
 • A man’s top dating fears include that a woman will come between him and his friends, won’t allow him free time, will turn out to be a stalker, won’t respect him, or will be too high maintenance.
 • Five common signs a man may be cheating in a relationship are that he accuses his partner of cheating, he’s extremely vague, he seems to be compensating by acting extra nice for no reason, he’s always at work, and his partner's friends drop her hints.
 An average couple will kiss on the second date • On average, daters will kiss on the second date.  • The curve of the counter in a bar is designed so other customers can easily “check out” other customers.
Bars also purposely place mirrors to help create a larger sense of place and to allow a person to scope out other people behind them.  • Signs that a man is about to break up with a woman include that he spends less time with her, he is no longer romantic, passionate kissing turns into quick pecks (particularly no kiss during sex), he fantasizes about someone else during sex, he pats her during a hug, and he tries to start fights.
 • Humans like mystery and “the chase,” so don't be too “available” to a date. Dating experts typically suggest not sleeping too early with a date because the longer the chase, the more likely love will blossom.
 1Campbell, Carolyn. “.” Discovery. Accessed: December 29, 2009. 2Cartler, Gregory. “.” AskMen. Accessed: December 27, 2009. 3Daily, Lisa. “” Canoe.ca. September 18, 2009. Accessed: December 29, 2009. 4“.” eHarmony. Accessed: December 28, 2009. 5Evans, David. “.” Online Dating Insider. Accessed: December 29, 2009. 6“.” CensusBureau.gov. July 21, 2009. Accessed: December 24, 2009. 7Grewal, Sukdeep. “.” TopNews.in. December 23, 2009.
Accessed: December 26, 2009. 8Langer, Gary. “.” ABCNews. October 21, 2004. Accessed: December 29, 2009. 9Mapes, Diane. How to Date in a Post-Dating World. Seattle, WA: Sasquatch Books, 2006. 10“.” Match. Accessed: December 29, 2009.
11Naik, Anita. Flirtology: Over 100 Ways to Release Your Inner Flirt. New York, NY: Penguin Books, 2004. 12Santagati, Steve. The MANual. New York, NY: Crown Publishing, 2007. 13Spindel, Janis. How to Date Men: Dating Secrets from America’s Top Matchmaker.
New York, NY: Penguin Group, 2007. 14“.” Marketdata Enterprise, Inc. April 1, 2009. Accessed: January 6, 2010. 15Warren, Neil Clark. Falling in Love for All the Right Reasons. New York, NY: Center Street, 2005. 16Wilson, Brenda. “.” NPR.org.
June 8, 2009. Accessed: December 23, 2009. 17Zaricc, Dushan and Jason Kosmos. You Didn’t Hear It From Us: Two Bartenders Serve Women the Truth about Men, Making an Impression, and Getting What You Want. New York, NY: Atria Books, 2006. 18Zdrock, Victoria. Dr. Z on Scoring: How to Pick Up, Seduce, and Hook Up with Hot Women. New York, NY: A Fireside Book, 2008.
The world is a crazy, sometimes hilarious place. Sometimes the most everyday things have surprisingly funny backstories, or the most bizarre things are more common than we realize. From quirky places in the U.S. to facts that you would not believe could be true if you didn’t see them yourself, there is much to find funny about the world—and that makes for great fodder at your next cocktail party.
Here are 40 such facts. And for some actually useful tidbits, check out these . Vegetables Can Make You Tan Eating veggies has plenty of health benefits, but it also has cosmetic ones, at Leeds University and the University at St. Andrews. They found that those who consumed vegetables with high levels of red and yellow pigments had a healthy yellow glow compared to those who did not. This is due to a process called “carotenoid colorization.” To find out more crazy celebrity facts like this one, check out these .
The Inventor of Frisbee Golf Was Turned Into a Frisbee Edward “Steady Ed” Headrick, who invented the game of Frisbee golf, made as one of his dying wishes that his family would into a Frisbee. “When we die, we don’t go to purgatory,” Headrick reportedly said shortly before his passing.
“We just land up on the roof and lay there.” And for more fit facts, check out . Coffee Pioneer Was Buried in a Coffee Pot One more: Renato Bialetti, the guy who popularized the stove-top, octagonal espresso maker that still bears his name, also asked that his remains be buried in the receptacle that was most important to him in life. When he died in 2016 at the age of 93, in one of his pots and buried next to his late wife.
Next, familiarize yourself with the . No Country Is Allowed to Own the Moon The (formally known as the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, Including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies), ratified in 1967, prohibits any country from claiming sovereignty over the Moon or any other celestial bodies (and from placing nuclear weapons or other WMDs on them). While this fact is entirely true, these are the . Bananas Can’t Reproduce Your favorite yellow fruit may have a, let’s say, suggestive shape.
But as it happens, the Cavendish banana—the most popular variety of banana that fills supermarkets and sits at the Starbucks counter, is . It’s a seedless hybrid of two (not as delicious) plant species. To create new bananas, the Cavendish don’t naturally reproduce, but require farmers to remove and transplant part of the plant’s stem. And for more wild info, check out .
Bananas Make Great Water Filters Speaking of bananas, their peels could actually in a pinch. A chemist studying the environment in Brazil found the peels’ contents of nitrogen, sulfur, and carboxylic acids effectively attached to copper and lead deposits found in polluted waters near industrial plants in the country. When he placed a lot of dried peels into Brazil’s Paraná River, they worked better at reducing the levels of heavy metal than all other filtering materials more typically used.
And for some history-steeped trivia, learn the . Hewlett-Packard Was Decided by a Coin Toss If things had been just slightly different, the company might have been called Packard-Hewlett. When they decided to go into business together, founders William Hewlett and David Packard knew their company name would just be a combination of their last names, but were unsure of the order. So in Packard’s Palo Alto garage, they simply , and Hewlett won.
Spicy Food Can Cut Down on Fat Intake Consuming spices has been found to help cut down on how much fat you take in. A study by researchers at Pennsylvania State University concluded that adding significant amounts of turmeric, black pepper, or cinnamon to a fatty meal impedes the amount of triglyceride (the bad fat that increases risk of heart disease) taken into the blood by as much as 30 percent. Women’s Tears Reduce Men’s Testosterone Levels It turns out, tears are a big turnoff.
A study had men sniff drops of women’s “emotional tears” and a neutral saline solution. Those who sniffed the tears became less aroused. As one of the researchers told the : “Basically what we’ve found is the chemo-signaling word for ‘no’ — or at least ‘not now.’” George Washington Invented Instant Coffee It’s true! Though it was sadly a different George Washington than the man who led the American Revolution. The man behind instant coffee was George Constant Louis Washington, a Belgium immigrant to New York who held over two dozen patents for everything from early cameras to food processors.
But his biggest hit was “” (get it?) which required no brewing (but reportedly tasted gross). George Washington Was a Major Whiskey Distiller Our nation’s first president did try his hand at whiskey making—in a major way. After leaving the presidency in 1797, the founding father spent some of his retirement planting rye around his Mount Vernon estate and soon had a full-blown distillery underway, producing of un-aged whiskey in 1799, the year he died.
Speaking of all things presidential, here are . The Monopoly Man has a Proper Name, Too Alright, one more: That monocled top-hatted fellow on the board game Monopoly is not just named “The Monopoly Man” or “Rich Uncle Pennybags” as you probably thought.
In fact, his birth certificate (if one existed) reads “Milburn Pennybags.” Also interesting: the policeman who tosses Milburn into jail has a name too: . When it comes to real money, these are the . The First Hot Air Balloon Ride Contained a Sheep, Duck, and Rooster The pioneers of hot-air balloon travel were not brave men but a that were sent up in the innovative contraption invented by brothers Joseph-Michel and Jacques-Étienne Montgolfier at the end of the 1700s.
They were placed in a cage suspended beneath the balloon and after eight minutes ended up landing about two miles from where they took off—but all were alive and well. Yoda’s Look Was Inspired by Albert Einstein When Star Wars’ special effects artists Stuart Freeborn what kind of appearance he wanted to give his sage Jedi mentor, he got inspiration from a guy generally associated with smarts: Albert Einstein.
A photo of the theoretical physicist hung on his office wall, and his eyes and wrinkles gave Freeborn just the finishing touches he was looking for. Brown Bottles Are Better for Beer Say that three times fast.
While it may be a tongue twister, it’s also a fact—if exposed to sunlight, beer can become “lightstruck” which affects its taste and quality (aka makes it taste skunky). It’s not heat or oxygen causing the issue, but light, and one of the best ways to protect beers from this is to , which keeps the flavor-killing wavelengths from ruining your brew. When Mating, Lobsters Pee on Each Other That bladder location comes in handy during foreplay.
When lobsters flirt, they squirt urine on each other. The female’s urine is loaded with pheromones which calm the male, so he doesn’t get aggressive, and puts him in mating mood. For more hilarious facts like this one, check out these .
Cold Cuts Are Safest When Hot Deli meat may be delicious, but it has been , botulism, as well as the food-borne bug, Listeria monocytogenes. To help reduce the danger of this bacteria (which kills 260 Americans annually), scientists urge that processed meats be heated to at least 165 degrees before eating them. Americans are Mustard Wimps Mustard was popular in Europe for decades in the 19 th century, but Americans resisted it until Francis French, and his R.T.
French Company created a mild, bright yellow version of the stuff. “It must be mild,” , who developed the recipe with his older brother George, “for I believe that these hot mustards are used sparingly not because they are hot, but because people don’t like them.” The First Potato Chip Flavor Was Cheese and Onion Before there was Cool Ranch, Barbecue, or Sour Cream and Onion, there was Cheese and Onion. Invented in 1954 by a fellow named , the flavored potato chip was a novelty at the time, when you could pretty much get your chips salted and that was it.
His seasoning of the chips would pave the way for all that we love about the junk food from that day forward. And for more culinary quirks, learn the . Beauty Sleep Is a Real Thing A found that when subjects were shown two photos of men and women, one taken after a restful sleep and another after having been up for 31 hours (with all other conditions and expressions identical and no makeup on), the ones who’d slept well were selected as looking more healthy and attractive.
Chinese Checkers Was Invented in Germany Just like French fries have little to do with France, this board game did not originate where its name might make you think it did. A popular 19 th century English game called Hoppity, which allowed for four players to take part in a Checkers-like game. In Germany, the game was adapted into a star-shaped board and called “Stern-Halma” meaning “Hoppity star,” before American toy company Pressman Co.
“Chinese Checkers.” Speed Dating Was Invented by a Rabbi While we might think of it as an innovative way to get laid, it was a very traditional person who invented speed dating. Rabbi Yaacov Deyo, based in Beverly Hills, CA, created the concept in 1998, a handful of single men and women for some matchmaking in a Peet’s Coffee & Tea.
Romance and efficiency proved to be a perfect match. For more facts that are hard to believe, check out these . To discover more amazing secrets about living your best life, to sign up for our FREE daily newsletter !
30 Interesting Facts About Life You Didn’t Know!